Saturday, May 28, 2011

signs of spring

today was beautiful, warm breezes and sunshine everywhere. i simply couldn't stay indoors, so i decided to head to the trail for a run. six and a half miles. i've done it countless times before. but something about today was different.

it was God. He was so real, so present, so close i was sure i could reach out and touch Him. i heard Him in the wind. i felt Him as the gentle sunshine kissed my face. i was heightened awareness. i didn't want to miss a moment.

somewhere around my second mile, i started realizing i had been seeing an awful lot of robins on the trail. more than normal, come to think of it. flitting through the grass, jumping slightly in the dirt. i started counting. by mile four, eleven! by mile five, eighteen. confused, not even knowing i was speaking it aloud, i muttered, "what in the world is with all these robins?!"

in an instant, He answered me. "robins are a sign of spring. didn't i tell you that your winter was over, dear one? yes, spring has come."

i stopped in my tracks.

i only saw one more robin after that, a few seconds later. he confidently hopped my way, stopped directly before me, and bobbed his little head once--no, twice. yes. yes!

"see, the winter is past; the rains are over and gone. flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of [birds] is heard in the land. the fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me." (Song of Solomon 2.11-13)

No comments: